Why do we need to do inspection and quarantine for wood?
Analysis and Countermeasures of Imported Timber Inspection and Quarantine
In recent years, with the rapid development of my country's manufacturing industry, domestic timber supply is seriously insufficient, and imported timber has become the main source of raw materials for wood products. While importing timber makes up for the shortage of domestic timber, it also brings complex pest epidemics and quality and safety issues, and brings hidden dangers to national interests and people's health and safety. All parties should attach great importance to it.
1. Imported timber carries harmful organisms
One is the substantial increase in pests year by year. According to statistics, in 2009, my country intercepted 16,967 types of harmful organisms from imported timber, and in 2010, intercepted 20,477 types of harmful organisms, an increase of 21% year-on-year.
Second, the types of pests are more complex. Since 2008, only the Qingdao Bureau has intercepted 156 species of forest pests from wood such as Spruce snails, African snails, pine wood nematodes, and six-backed beetles, a total of 2117 batches, of which dangerous and harmful organisms were detected. 41 species of organisms, 532 batches.
Third, the situation of the foreign epidemic situation has become more severe. The records of various ports across the country show that all kinds of harmful organisms have been intercepted in all over 70 log export countries.
2. Main quality problems of imported wood
Take Guangzhou Port as an example. In recent years, Guangzhou Port has imported about 480,000 M3 of timber annually. The products mainly come from more than 20 countries or regions including North America, Europe, Australia, Africa and Southeast Asia. The quality problems mainly include:
One is the high proportion of volume shortage. The problems are mainly concentrated in logs from Africa and Russia, mainly caused by differences in the method of measuring rulers and the consignor.
Second, there are many quality defects. The problems are mainly concentrated in Malaysia, Gabon and Russian logs, which are mainly manifested as severe cracking, cavities, decay, worm eyes and distortion.
Third, there are many controversies in the identification of wood species. Involving tariffs, price fraud, protection of endangered species, etc., it is a difficult issue in the current timber trade.
The fourth is the poor quality of pest control treatment. Southeast Asia, Europe, Africa and other regions are not strict enough on the quarantine and fumigation of exported logs, and the methods of pest control are unreasonable; the effects of pest control in the Russian Far East and Alaska in the United States are poor; part of the log belt soil increases the risk of introducing dangerous pests and probability.
At the same time, due to improper signing of trade contracts and other reasons, fraud has occurred frequently, causing importers to suffer serious economic losses, and also encouraging foreign exporters to resort to fraud.
3. Countermeasures and suggestions to strengthen the inspection and quarantine supervision of imported timber
(1) Improve the legal system for inspection and quarantine of imported timber. Formulate imported timber inspection management measures, clarify the applicable standards for timber inspection, and standardize the practice behavior of the inspection team and the inspection staff. Based on the interception of imported logs in recent years and the results of risk analysis, the list of hazardous pests prohibited from entering the country was revised to increase the proportion of forest pests.
(2) Strengthen the risk analysis of imported timber pests. Experts in the system were selected to form an epidemic risk analysis working group to collect relevant foreign information for 436 quarantine pests, conduct record statistics and risk analysis, and formulate targeted regulatory requirements based on the risk assessment results.
(3) Establish a pre-inspection mechanism for quarantine and approval of imported timber. The first is to refer to the imported bulk grain quarantine approval system and implement the imported log quarantine approval system; the second is to establish a pre-inspection system for imported timber and notify the exporting country and domestic importers in a timely manner; the third is to establish a regular notification system to urge exporting countries to implement effective Inspection and quarantine and fumigation treatment.
(4) Strengthen the verification and verification of imported timber quarantine certificates. When accepting the inspection application, the owner or agent is required to submit the original contract for inspection; to confirm the format and content of the imported timber quarantine certificate with relevant countries, and resolutely refuse to accept the inspection report if the circumstances are serious. Investigate.
(5) Strengthen the supervision of imported timber quarantine and pest control areas. Formulate the management measures for the inspection, quarantine, and pest-elimination treatment areas for imported logs to standardize the supervision of the pest-elimination and treatment areas. Strengthen the management of pest-elimination processing units and enterprises in the wood processing zone, and urge them to carry out business in strict accordance with the pest-elimination processing work specifications; strengthen the supervision of the pest-elimination processing process, and resolutely stop them from engaging in the pest-elimination processing work that has hidden safety hazards and cannot be rectified in time Qualifications.
(6) Strengthen the monitoring and emergency response of imported timber epidemic situation. Establish an effective epidemic monitoring and monitoring system, research and promote pheromone trapping and monitoring technology, establish a forest pest monitoring and monitoring network at key ports and areas, and carry out epidemics at imported timber ports, pest control treatment areas, designated timber processing enterprises, and imported timber distribution centers Monitoring work, timely grasp the occurrence of forest pests, and initiate emergency response plans for major plant epidemics in a timely manner.
Dear customer, Good day, Welcome to VIPUTRANS, please describe the cargo information and demand in advance if urgent case please contact Email:firstname.lastname@example.org/Mobile phone/Whatsapp :+8613424475220/Skype:narrynisha
Hello, please leave your name and email here before chat online so that we won't miss your message and contact you smoothly.